Steps to Becoming a No Place for Hate® School:
1. READ and COMPLETE the 2012-2013 Commitment Form to ensure that you and your school administration are on board with the No Place for Hate® requirements.
2. CREATE a No Place for Hate® Coalition or team including at least four students to plan, coordinate and oversee the anti-bias and/or diversity projects. The Coalition should reflect the diversity of your students, faculty members and administration. Identify an administrative or faculty point person for the effort. The Coalition should meet at least two times per year to help develop and implement the No Place for Hate® activities listed on the Intent Form.
3. SUBMIT the Commitment Form, Intent Form and Coalition Form. Please use the Intent Form to thoroughly describe your No Place for Hate® activities. Make sure to include how the students will LEARN and DISCUSS the topic as well as the ACTIVE LEARNING that will take place. The Coalition form must come with documentation of at least one Coalition meeting. The three forms and documentation must be submitted by October 15, 2012. Download our Check List to help you with this process.
4. ISSUE the ADL'S Resolution of Respect affirming a commitment to promoting respect and challenging bigotry in all forms. Have all members of your school sign ADL’s Resolution of Respect. Download the Elementary Resolution of Respect; Secondary Resolution of Respect; Spanish Elementary Resolution of Respect; or the Spanish Secondary Resolution of Respect.
5. COMPLETE three or more anti-bias or diversity activities by April 15, 2013. These activities can be selected from the ADL Resource Guide (pdf, may take a moment to download) or you can create activities of your own. See helpful Guidelines for selecting appropriate activities. See Sample Completed Forms.
6. COMPLETE and SUBMIT the Resolution of Respect Form, an Activity Form for each activity and documentation for each. Examples of documentation include – photos, photo copies / examples of student work, lesson plans or flyers to advertise the activity. Submit information no later than April 15, 2013. Please mail these forms and documentation. Faxed and e-mailed forms will not be accepted.
7. WAIT for ADL approval. You will be notified via email within three weeks of submission. If you do not hear from us within that time frame, please contact us at 713-627-3490 (Houston) or 512-249-7960 (Austin area).
8. RECEIVE a customized No Place for Hate® banner from ADL and count your school as a leader in teaching and modeling respect for individual and group differences while challenging prejudice and discrimination.
9. NEED inspiration? See Best Practices.
You may download and print all ADL Southwest Region No Place for Hate® forms here. For more information, call the ADL Houston office at 713-627-3490, or the Austin office at
512-249-7960 (Austin area schools).